Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day of Palms

Palm Sunday, is called in the Volumes the Day of Palms.  This year the reading came from Luke.
 
 
 
 
28 And when he had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. 29 When he drew near to Beth′phage and Bethany, at the mount that is called Olivet, he sent two of the disciples, 30 saying, “Go into the village opposite, where on entering you will find a colt tied, on which no one has ever yet sat; untie it and bring it here. 31 If any one asks you, ‘Why are you untying it?’ you shall say this, ‘The Lord has need of it.’” 32 So those who were sent went away and found it as he had told them. 33 And as they were untying the colt, its owners said to them, “Why are you untying the colt?” 34 And they said, “The Lord has need of it.” 35 And they brought it to Jesus, and throwing their garments on the colt they set Jesus upon it. 36 And as he rode along, they spread their garments on the road. 37 As he was now drawing near, at the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, 38 saying, “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” 39 And some of the Pharisees in the multitude said to him, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples.” 40 He answered, “I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.”
Luke 19, 28-40


One of the things that I've always wondered about in this reading is Jesus' responce of how the stones would cry out if everyone else were silent.  In the Volumes I've found a couple of places where it seems to speak about this part which I've never heard anyone ever discuss before.



“My daughter, you must know that as long as my Humanity remained on earth, and as long as the Sovereign Queen also was there, there was no solitude nor sepulchral silence in the Creation, because by virtue of the light of the Divine Will, wherever this Will was It spread as light, and diffusing in everything, It multiplied in all created things, and everywhere my act was repeated – because one was the Will. This is so true, that the Creation gave sensible signs both at my birth, and even more so at my death, to the point that the sun became dark, the stones split, the earth trembled, as if all were crying for their Creator, for their King. They cried for the One who had kept them in feast, who had broken their solitude and sepulchral silence; and, all feeling the bitterness of such a hard privation, they gave signs of sorrow and crying, and returned once again to the mourning of their solitude and silence. In fact, as I departed from the earth, the One who, in the light of my Will, emitted the voice which, forming the echo, rendered the Creation speaking and operating, was no longer there. It happened as to those metal instruments which, with artfulness, enclose the voice of one who speaks or sings: the instrument speaks, sings, cries, laughs, but this happens by virtue of the echo of the voice that has spoken; however, if the intelligence that produces that singing is taken away, the instrument remains mute. More so, since I did not come upon earth for the Creation, but I came for man, and therefore everything I did – pains, prayers, moans, sighs… –I left for the good of souls as more than a new Creation. In fact, since everything I did was done by virtue of my creative power, everything is in the act of saving man.
Vol. 19, July 29, 1926


So it is his Will actively living in his humanity as well as in Mary that speaks through the Creation as through an instrument.  He states this again to Luisa that even if he were to remain silent his Will would speak to her through the Creation.



“My daughter, My Will never exhausts Itself If I do not speak to you about It, all of creation will speak to you.  Even the stones will change into voices to speak to you; the heavens, the sun, the sea, all creation has much to say about My Eternal Volition, because being full of Its Life, all things have a great deal to say about the Life of My Will, which they possess.  So you must pay attention, because if you look at or touch something, you will hear new lessons about My Will.”
Vol. 21, May 4, 1927



“My daughter, see how all the acts I did in redeeming man, and even the miracles I performed during my public life, had no other purpose but to call back the Kingdom of the Supreme Fiat into the midst of creatures; ....And even when, triumphant, I entered into Jerusalem, in the midst of the triumph of the crowds, surrounded with honor and glory, it was the triumph of my Will that I established in the midst of the peoples.
Vol. 20, Oct. 26, 1926



But it is not only the triumph of his Will but a place of sufferings as well on this Day of Palms.


Suffering is reigning.
...Then, as I was very much in suffering, He came back a little later and told me: “Today is the Day of the Palms in which I was proclaimed King. All must aspire to a kingdom, but in order to acquire the eternal kingdom it is necessary for the creature to acquire the regime of herself through the dominion of her passions. The only means is suffering, because suffering is reigning; that is, through patience, man puts himself in his place, becoming king of himself and of the eternal kingdom.”
Vol. 6, April 16, 1905




After staying for some time, He transported me outside of myself, and I saw that the Church was celebrating the Day of the Palms; and Jesus, breaking the silence, told me:  “How much volubility, how much inconstancy!  Just as today they cried out ‘Hosanna!’, proclaiming Me as their King, on another day they cried out ‘Crucify Him! Crucify Him!’  My daughter, the thing that displeases Me the most is inconstancy and volubility, because this is the sign that the truth has not taken possession of these souls.  Even in things of religion, it may be that they find their satisfaction, their own convenience and interest, or that they just find themselves in that party; but tomorrow these things may be missing, or they may find themselves involved in other parties - and here is how they deviate from religion, and with no regret they give themselves to other sects.  Indeed, when the true light of Truth enters a soul and takes possession of a heart, she is not subject to inconstancy.  On the contrary, she sacrifices everything for love of It and to let herself be mastered by It alone; and with unconquered heart she despises everything else which does not belong to the Truth.”  And while saying this, He cried over the condition of the present generation, worse than in those times, subject to inconstancy according to wherever the winds blow.
Vol. 4, March 31, 1901



It is a lesson in not paying attention to that which is human, one day they praise and another condem.
 



Then, after this, I began to do the adoration to my Crucified Good; but before my mind passed a long line of soldiers, all armed up, which never ended. I would have wanted to think about my Crucified Jesus, rather than see soldiers, but, against my will, I was forced to see these soldiers, equipped for anything. So I prayed my sweet Jesus to take that sight away from me, that I might be free to be with Him; and Jesus, all afflicted, told me: “My daughter, the more it seems that the world is apparently in peace, and they sing the praises of peace, the more they hide wars, revolutions and tragic scenes for poor humanity, under that ephemeral and masked peace. And the more it seems that they favor my Church, and sing hymns of victories and triumphs, and practices of union between State and Church, the closer the brawl is which they are preparing against Her. The same was for Me. Up until they acclaimed Me as King and received Me in triumph, I was able to live in the midst of the peoples; but after my triumphant entrance into Jerusalem, they no longer let Me live; and after a few days they shouted at Me: ‘Crucify Him!’; and all taking arms against Me, they made Me die. When things do not start from a foundation of truth, they have no strength to reign for a long time, because, since truth is missing, love is missing, and the life that sustains it is missing. Therefore, what they were hiding easily comes out, and they turn peace into war, and favors into revenges. Oh! how many unexpected things they are preparing.”
Vol. 18, Jan. 24, 1926

No comments: