Thursday, August 14, 2014

Cross of Light

Jesus states that by incarnating his divinity into his humanity he also incarnated this divinity into the cross so that where there is suffering there is God in something which exceeds a union.  Jesus says that it is closer in simile to the Incarnation itself.  And as he became so joined to the cross so it joined creatures through the cross to God.




“My daughter, in the Creation I gave my image to the soul; in the Incarnation I gave my Divinity, divinizing humanity.  And since in the very act, in the very instant, in which the Divinity incarnated Itself in humanity, It incarnated Itself in the cross, in such a way that from the moment I was conceived, I was conceived united with the cross – it can be said that just as my cross was united with Me in the Incarnation which I did in the womb of my Mother, so does my cross form as many other incarnations of mine in the wombs of souls.  And just as the cross forms my incarnation in souls, the cross is the incarnation of the soul in God, destroying in her everything that gives of nature, and filling her with the Divinity so much, as to form a sort of incarnation – God in the soul, and the soul in God.”  I remained as though enchanted on hearing that the cross is the incarnation of the soul in God, and He repeated:  “I am not saying union, but incarnation, because the cross penetrates so much into her nature as to make her nature itself become suffering, and where there is suffering there is God, as God and suffering cannot be apart.  And the cross, forming this incarnation, renders this union more stable, and the separation of God from the soul almost as difficult as is separating suffering from nature.  On the other hand, through union, the separation can easily occur.  It is understood, always, that this is not the Incarnation, but a simile of the Incarnation.”
Vol. 6, December 22, 1903 




In the previous post on the cross, Take up Your Cross, it talked about the greatness of the cross and how it can destroy the roots of evil in man, the kingdoms of the devil, the world and the flesh.  It replaced there the Kingdom of Heaven, the spiritual, the divine and the eternal.  The cross can be considered "the sacrament" which can reproduce all the effects of all the sacraments in the soul that the others do individually.  Jesus initially brought Luisa through the way of the cross to the point where she loved and longed for these sufferings.  But a time came when she no longer felt sufferings and she longed for the cross.  Jesus explained to her that he was preparing her for something greater.   The cross in all it's grandeur can still be frustrated if the creature does not resign herself to the Will of God.  She will not reach the heights designed for her by God.  Only the Divine Will can complete and nourish the effects of the cross on the soul.  When one is resigned to the Divine Will then one reaches the heights of human sanctity.  However when one decides to live in the Divine Will allowing the Divine Will mastery in each of her acts then her cross enters into the eternal reaching everyone and everything with each act being a nail to her own will.  This is a perpetual cross which is not limited to time and occasion.  This cross is fully similar to Jesus' cross which allowed him to suffer and be crucified for each and every one throughout all time.



He no longer delights in letting me suffer; and if sometimes I suffer, He looks at me with such indifference; He no longer shows that taste of the past.’Now, while I was thinking of this, my sweet Jesus, moving in my interior, sighing, told me: 

“My daughter, when there are superior tastes, minor tastes lose their delight, their attractiveness, and therefore one looks at them with indifference.  The cross binds grace; but who nourishes it?  Who makes it grow to the proper stature?  My Will.  My Will alone completes everything and allows my highest designs to be accomplished in the soul.  If it wasn’t for my Will, even the cross, as much power and greatness as it contains, can cause souls to remain half of the way.  Oh, how many suffer, but since the continuous nourishment of my Will is missing, they do not reach the destination - the undoing of the human will.  And the Divine Will cannot give the last blow, the final brush stroke of Divine Sanctity.
See, you say that nails and cross have vanished.  False, my daughter - false.  Before, your cross was small and incomplete; now my Will, raising you into my Will, makes your cross become large, and each act you do in my Volition is a nail that your will receives.  And as you live in my Will, yours extends so much as to diffuse you in each creature, and for each one of them it gives Me that life which I gave them, so as to render Me the honor, the glory and the purpose for which I created her.  See, your cross extends not only for you, but for each creature; therefore I see your cross everywhere.  Before, I saw it only in you, now I see it everywhere.  Your fusing yourself in my Will, with no personal interest, but only to give Me that which all should give Me, and to give all the good that my Will contains to everyone, is only of the Divine Life, not of the human.  So, my Will alone is that which forms this Divine Sanctity in the soul.  On the other hand, your previous crosses were human sanctity, and that which is human, as holy as it may be, cannot do great things, but small ones; and even less can it elevate the soul to the sanctity and to the fusion with the working of her Creator; she remains always within the limitedness of creature.  But my Will, destroying all human barriers, flings the creature into the divine immensity, and everything becomes immense in her:  cross, nails, sanctity, love, reparation - everything.  My goal in you was not human sanctity, although it was necessary to first do the small things in you, and this is why I delighted so much.
Now, as I made you go beyond, and having to make you live in my Volition, in seeing your littleness, your atom, embrace immensity in order to give Me love and glory for all and for each one, to render Me all the rights of the whole Creation, I am so delighted that all other things give Me no taste any more.  Therefore, your cross, your nails, will be my Will which, keeping yours crucified, will complete the true crucifixion in you - not at intervals, but perpetually, fully similar to Mine, as I was conceived crucified and died crucified.  My Cross was nourished by the Eternal Will alone, and therefore I was crucified for all and for each one.  My Cross marked everyone with Its emblem.”
Vol. 14, June 6, 1922


 

The cross is only a cross in opposition of it's two beams when the creature's will is opposed to God's Will.  With resignation to the Divine Will the cross sanctifies but it still remains a cross.  The cross will always remain limited in it's scope of action depending on how resigned the creature is to the Divine Will in each moment.  But when the creature decides to want to live in the Divine Will then there is no limit to it's reach.  The cross itself disappears and the two beams become united.


 


“My daughter, when two wills are opposed to each other, one forms the cross of the other.  So it is between Me and the creatures:  when their wills are opposed to Mine, I form their cross and they form Mine; I am the long beam of the cross, while they are the short one, and crossing each other, they form the cross.  Now, when the will of the soul unites with Mine, the beams are no longer crossed, but united, and therefore the cross is no longer a cross.  Have you understood?  And besides, I sanctified the cross; it was not the cross that sanctified Me.  It is not the cross that sanctifies - it is the resignation to my Will that sanctifies the cross; therefore, even the cross can do as much good insofar as it is connected with my Will.  Not only this; the cross sanctifies and crucifies part of the person, while my Will does not spare anything; it sanctifies everything, and crucifies thoughts, desires, will, affections, heart - everything.  And since my Will is light, It shows to the soul the necessity of this sanctification and complete crucifixion, in such a way that she herself incites Me to accomplish the crafting of my Will upon her.
“Therefore, the cross and the other virtues are content as long as they get something; and if they can pierce the creature with three nails, they boast of their triumph.  On the other hand, my Will, which does not know how to do incomplete works, is not content with just three nails, but with as many nails for as many acts of my Will which I dispose for the creature.”
Vol. 11, November 18, 1913
 



With each act that we do which is not done in the Divine Will puts the divine on the cross.  Only by living in the Divine Will do we not place the divine on the cross, instead he forms our cross, but instead of a cross of night and sorrows it is a cross of light and love that enriches, ennobles, beatifies, strengthens and sanctifies.
 



“My blessed daughter, how much my Will suffers in the creature!  It is enough to say to you, each time that one does ones will it puts mine on (the) cross.  So that the cross of my Will is the human volition; but not with three nails, as I was crucified upon the cross, but with so many nails for how many times one is opposed to mine, how many times he is not recognized; and while he wants to do good, he becomes rejected with the nails of ingratitude.  How excruciating is this crucifixion of my Will in the creature; how many times he feels the nails put forth to his breath, heartbeat and motion, because not being known that he is life of the breath, heartbeat and motion, the human breath, motion and heartbeat, serve as nails that impede him from developing in them the good that (is) needed.  Oh, how he feels (on the) cross in the human volition!  He with his divine motion wants to make sprout the day in the human motion, and the creature puts the divine motion (on the) cross and with her motion she makes sprout the night and she puts (on the) cross the light; how my light sorrows in seeing itself repressed, crucified, put in the state of inability by the human volition!
            “With his breath he wants to make his breathed in order to give her the life of his sanctity, of his fortitude; and the creature, by not receiving it, puts forth the nails of sin, of her passions and weaknesses; my poor Will, in what (a) state of sorrow and of continuous crucifixion he finds himself in the human volition!  She does none other than to put (on the) cross our love and all the goods that we want to give her are filled by her nails.
            “Only one who lives in mine doesn’t put (on the) cross my Will; rather, I can say that I form her cross, but her cross is well different.  With mine my Volition knows how to put forth nails of light, of sanctity, of love, in order to make her strong with our own divine fortitude, which doesn’t give sorrows, rather, he renders her happy, beautiful with an enchanting beauty, and they are carriers of great conquests, and one who has tried it so much is the happiness that she feels, that she prays us, begs us that we hold her always (on the) cross with our divine nails.
            “From here she can not escaped; if two wills, human and divine, are not united, hers will form our cross and ours hers; rather, so much is our love and jealousy that we don’t leave her free not even a breath without our nail of light and of love, in order to always have her with us, in order to be able to say:  ‘That which we do she does, and she wants that which we want.’
            “Rather, you must know that as the creature enters into our Volition, all is transformed, the darknesses are changed into light, weakness into fortitude, poverty into riches, passions into virtue; such mutation happens that one is not recognized anymore from that of before; her state is no more of the most vile slave, but of noble queen, our divine being loves her so much that it races into her acts in order to do that which she does; and since our motion is continuous, we move and we love her, we move and we embrace her; our motion moves itself and kisses her, makes her more beautiful, sanctifies her more; in every motion we give her of ours; and in the emphasis of our love, we speak to her of our supreme being, we make ourselves known who we are and how much we love her.  Such identification passes between her and us, being one our Will with hers, that we feel her in our divine motion, and hers doing that which is ours, she loves us with our love, she gives our inaccessible light to us, in order to glorify our sanctity, in order to extol us and say to us:  ‘Holy, holy, three times holy you are; you enclose everything, you are everything.’
            “How beautiful it is to see the human littleness in our Volition, that holds in her power our divine being in order to re-give it to us, in order to love us and to glorify us as we want and we justly merit; in our Volition the parts make themselves equal, the dissimilarities disappear, our unity unites everything and everyone and makes it one single act of everyone, in order to make itself act of everyone.”
Vol. 36, September 5, 1938

No comments: