Friday, October 4, 2013

St Francis

Today is the feast of St Francis.  There are not many Saints which make an appearance in the Volumes but St Francis is one of them.  There is one passage where he speaks with Luisa and teaches how we can know if our state is the Will of God.


(Oops, wrong St Francis.  In this passage it is St Francis of Paola.  He lived as a hermit in the mid 1400's, followed St. Francis of Assisi and founded the Minim Friars or the "Least Friars."  St Francis of Assisi is mentioned only once briefly in Vol. 17, April 15, 1925.  There Jesus tells Luisa that people said that he was a "faithful copy" of Him and that people shouldn't take offence when he says he wants to make her a faithful copy of the Virgin.)


While in the midst of these cruel torments, last night, as I was in my usual state, I found myself surrounded by some people who were saying: “Recite a ‘Pater, Ave, Gloria’ in honor of Saint Francis of Paola, who will bring you some refreshment for your sufferings.” So I recited it; and as I did so, the Saint appeared, bringing me a little loaf of bread. He gave it to me, saying: “Eat it.”

I ate it, and felt all strengthened. Then I said to him: ‘Dear Saint, I would like to tell you something.’ And he, all affability: “Tell me, what would you like to say?”

And I: ‘I fear very much that my state may not be Will of God. Listen: in the first years of this illness, which occurred at intervals, I would feel Our Lord calling me to become a victim; at the same time I would be caught by internal sufferings and wounds, such that externally it appeared that I was having a fit. Now, I fear that it was my fantasy that produced these evils.’

And the Saint: “The sure sign to know whether a state is Will of God is that the soul is ready to do otherwise, if she knew that the Will of God was no longer that state.”

Not persuaded, I added: ‘Dear Saint, I have not told you everything. Listen: the first ones were at intervals; then, from the time when Our Lord called me to continuous immolation, it is twenty-one years since I have been always in bed – and who can tell my tribulations? Sometimes it seems that He leaves me, He takes suffering away from me, the only and faithful friend of my state; and I remain crushed without God, and even without the support of suffering… and so, doubts and fears that my state may not be the Will of God.’

And he, all sweetness: “I repeat to you what I have said to you before: if you are ready to do the Will of God, if you knew It, then your state is His Will.’
Vol. 8, April 8, 1908



Francis exemplified the virtue of poverty and Luisa as well, early on in the Volumes was called to this.  Here Jesus explains how she should adopt this.


Jesus calls the soul to a perfect conformity to his Will.  He wants from her absolute detachment from everything and perfect poverty.
He continued to tell me:  “From you I want perfect conformity to my Will, in such a way that your will may be undone within Mine; and absolute detachment from everything - so much so, that I want all that is earth to be considered by you as dung and rot, which one is horrified by just looking at.  And this because, even though one were not attached to earthly things, just by having them around and looking at them they cast shadow on the celestial things and prevent the fulfillment of that mystical marriage which I promised you.  Even more, I want that, just as I was poor, you also imitate Me in poverty.  You must consider yourself in this bed as a little poor one; the poor are content with anything they have, and they first thank Me, and then their benefactors.  The same for you:  go along with everything that is given to you without asking for this or that, which might be a hindrance in your mind; but with holy indifference, without thinking of whether it may do good or bad, comply with the will of others.”
Vol. 1



Francis was a forerunner of the Divine Will and in his Canticle of the Sun it can be seen the bonds he felt with all of Creation and his love of God which he saw visible in all his works.  It is as the foreshadowing to teach us how to do our rounds in the Divine Will in all Creation.  And in the last stanza that he added it shows how he valued Gods Will, recognizing that death does no harm to those found in God's Will.





The Canticle of Brother Sun


Most High, all powerful, good Lord,
Yours are the praises, the glory, the honor,
and all blessing.
 
To You alone, Most High, do they belong,
and no man is worthy to mention Your name.
 
Be praised, my Lord, through all your creatures,
especially through my lord Brother Sun,
who brings the day; and you give light through him.
And he is beautiful and radiant in all his splendor!
Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness.
          
Praise be You, my Lord, through Sister Moon
and the stars, in heaven you formed them
clear and precious and beautiful.
 
Praised be You, my Lord, through Brother Wind,
and through the air, cloudy and serene,
and every kind of weather through which
You give sustenance to Your creatures.
 
Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Water,
which is very useful and humble and precious and chaste.
 
Praised be You, my Lord, through Brother Fire,
through whom you light the night and he is beautiful
and playful and robust and strong.
 
Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Mother Earth,
who sustains us and governs us and who produces
varied fruits with colored flowers and herbs.
 
Praised be You, my Lord,
through those who give pardon for Your love,
and bear infirmity and tribulation.
 
Blessed are those who endure in peace
for by You, Most High, they shall be crowned.
 
Praised be You, my Lord,
through our Sister Bodily Death,
from whom no living man can escape.
 
Woe to those who die in mortal sin.
Blessed are those whom death will
find in Your most holy willl,
for the second death shall do them no harm.
 
Praise and bless my Lord,
and give Him thanks
and serve Him with great humility.
AMEN

No comments: